Hall Capital Partners is an independent, privately owned, SEC-registered investment advisor that builds and manages multi-asset class global investment portfolios for families, endowments, and foundations. As of March 31, 2018 we direct more than $33 billion of investment assets for our clients and a platform of pooled vehicles. Founded in 1994, our firm has approximately 160 employees that operate from offices in San Francisco and New York. We are typically responsible for investment strategy, asset allocation, and portfolio construction for globally diversified investment portfolios. The firm has a 24-year record of building and managing global investment portfolios and has established a strong reputation as a successful investor and partner. For many clients, we contribute significantly to other aspects of financial strategy, such as managing and diversifying concentrated public stock positions or advising on and facilitating wealth transfer and philanthropic strategies. We also manage private pooled vehicles. Our culture is centered on integrity, intellectual rigor, curiosity, client focus, performance, and fulfillment of our fiduciary responsibilities.
HALL CAPITAL PARTNERS IS COMMITTED TO ATTRACTING, RETAINING, ENGAGING, AND DEVELOPING A POOL OF TALENT THAT IS DIVERSE ALONG MANY DIMENSIONS. WE SEEK TO LEVERAGE THESE DIVERSE EXPERIENCES, BACKGROUNDS AND VIEWPOINTS TO BEST SERVE THE NEEDS OF OUR CLIENTS
POSITION TITLE: Deputy General Counsel
The attorney will provide legal services to an SEC-registered investment adviser which also sponsors private funds. The work will include securities-related matters and general corporate legal work, and compliance work, and will be overseen by the General Counsel.
The ideal candidate will have 5 years of experience at both a law firm and in-house, in the investment advisory or private fund space. Compensation and benefits will be commensurate with experience and status
• Analyze, draft documents and advise on issues relating to SEC-registered investment advisers;
• Analyze, draft documents and advise on private fund formation and operation;
• Review and negotiate a range of commercial contracts such as client advisory agreements, vendor agreements, including IT-related, nondisclosure agreements;
• General corporate legal matters;
• Assist the General Counsel in her role as Secretary to the Board of Directors;
• Employment matters and documents;
• Lease-related issues;
• Review and edit marketing materials, RFPs, disclosures and web site content
• Work on the firm’s compliance programs and obligations, including but not limited to policies and procedures, compliance-related projects, filings, calendar items, testing, and personal trading;
• Participate in and/or help lead Legal/Compliance’s and other departments’ risk assessments and mitigation efforts;
• Review and assess current legal and compliance processes within the group and the firm, and implement appropriate changes;
• Work with other departments to accomplish firm goals.
• Represent the firm at client/prospect due diligence meetings.
• Communication: Interpret and explain company policies to others; prepare internal and external communications about legal and compliance matters.
• Liaison with external service providers and counterparties as needed, including vendors and broker-dealers.
• Keep up to date on new or amended laws and regulations in the US and (as relevant) offshore.
• Further development, maintenance and updating of legal and compliance systems and records;
• Other assignments or projects, as needed.
J.D. from an accredited law school, plus 5 years work experience as an attorney, ideally at both a law firm and in-house, with securities law experience in the investment advisory and/or private fund space. Candidate must be a member of the California bar or the bar of another U.S. jurisdiction in good standing.
The successful candidate should be highly professional at all times and demonstrate a strong set of legal skills. In addition, the successful candidate must have:
• Securities law experience in the investment advisory and/or private fund space
• Excellent analytic, writing, editing, and oral advocacy skills
• Excellent judgment
• Excellent organizational skills and a keen attention to detail, with the ability to handle multiple, high priority projects within a demanding environment
• Ability to identify significant legal exposures, problem solve, and maintain a practical approach
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Work well with internal and external colleagues and contacts
• Be proficient with the use of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Intellectually curious
• Independent and team oriented
• Solutions oriented
• Results Driven
• Detail oriented
• Able to problem solve
• Energetic, creative, and positive
• Collaborative and flexible
• This job requires employee to sit for approximately 6-7 hours a day and use a keyboard and mouse for repetitive motion. There will be up to 15 lbs. to lift, push, or pull in this job.
Hall Capital Partners is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff and will consider all qualified applicants with criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Ordinance of San Francisco.